Thursday 2 November 2017

Awakening to habits



I am interested in this theory that if we change our experiences, our habits, we can change our brain, the way we are wired. I find the concept of neuroplasticity exciting in all the hope it brings us, because it empowers us to change the way we are wired. This is so much more exciting than the idea that we are who we are and are stuck with all our habits, because they define us. Now, in order to change habits, we need to start by identifying them, by seeing them, by noticing them. Personally, whenever I try this, I bring in all sorts of judgment; both positive and negative, so I see this course as an opportunity to teach myself how to notice, without liking or disliking. I think that this will allow me to learn more about myself, what triggers me, what my action/reaction chains are like.

No comments: