Tuesday 9 August 2011

A is for accent


As I’ve said before, one of the many things I will miss when I leave Guyana is chatting with each and every soul whenever I go down the road. And I’m not very good at it… I misunderstand what people say half the time.

Just today this happened:



Insane, init?

I’ll leave you with some of my favourite expressions:
- Night a shut – Night’s falling
- Wapen? – What’s up?
- Ok ok - When you’re walking down the road this is one of the ways of saying hi. And the reply is Yeah yeah.
- Fuh true? Seriously? Really?
- Yuh mekin joke! You’re can’t be serious.
- Just now – This defines a period of time that can range between “this second, as we speak” and “in a decade”. It’s quite a nifty word!

Leh meh go fuh wok, nah. Ah gonna write a new post just now, fuh true!

4 comments:

Cris said...

ha ha ha brilliant!

My attempt to:
"Leh meh go fuh wok, nah. Ah gonna write a new post just now, fuh true!"
- Let me go to work now. I'm going to write a new post soon ( hope we don't have to wait a decade!! lol ).
Love,

Anonymous said...

crazy girl

pe said...

trolice!! :-)

kelly said...

@ Cris: ding ding ding, the prize goes to Hoola Cris. Go babes!

what is a decade, hey? :p

@ Anonymous - indeedy-do. Punch

@ Pedrote: pegada!